Thứ Ba, 19 tháng 2, 2013

Entry 1_ Đỗ Mạnh Tuấn

Item 1: Story



             The two roosters and the eagle


Two roosters were fighting by a heap of dung .One rooster was stronger than the other.He fought the other rooster and drove him away from the dung ,The hens crowded round the rooster and praised him..
The rooster wanted everyone in the neighboring yard to hear of his strength and prowess. So he flew up onto the shed, flapped his wings and cried out:
" Look at me ,everyone.I beat a rooster!There is no other rooster in the world as strong as me."
At the moment, an eagle flew up , knocked the rooster down, dug his claws into him and carried him off to his nest.

  • Rhetorical devices:

  1. Irony: two roosters were fighting by a heap of dung
  2. Climax: it begins with the fight of two roosters and then the result of if, finally the eagle comes up. 

  • Moral lesson: See no further than one's nose 

Item 2: Picture


  • Rhetorical devices
  1. Overstatement: the man cuts his leg by himself
  2. Irony: The thief robes the hat.
  • Moral lesson: It's not worth to sacrifice for the unimportant things.

Item 3: Poem

                                     My FREEDOM

my Freedom, my Freedom
you saved me
you tore my chain
you detached the knots
you released my pain
you fixed the dots
thanks! thanks! 

my Freedom, my Freedom
you’re my necklace
you’re my bracelet

my Freedom, my Freedom
I feel you, I think about you
you accompany me, you’re my Angel

my Freedom, my Freedom
I like to be your slave
your slavery makes me Brave

my Freedom, my Freedom
clearly you engrave
my responsibilities
precisely you surround
my extremities
my Freedom, my Freedom
you’re my massive concept 
my imperative impulse

my Freedom, my Freedom
I respire you, you inspire me

{October 10,2009} 




  • Rhetorical devices
  1. Repetition: my Freedom
  2. Rhyme: chain-pain, dots-knots, slave-brave...
  • Message: Freedom has a powerful ability to human beings. It pulls us out of the pain and always makes our lives meaningful

Source:
  1. http://bacbaphi.com.vn/entertainment/showthread.php/70142-Learn-English-through-parables-H%E1%BB%8Dc-ti%E1%BA%BFng-Anh-qua-truy%E1%BB%87n-ng%E1%BB%A5-ng%C3%B4n
  2. http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=458363290903570&set=a.174914942581741.44066.174912082582027&type=1&theater
  3. http://www.poemhunter.com/poem/my-freedom-5/

6 nhận xét:

  1. i think you are misunderstanding the task, Tuan.
    we are required to find 3 items: story, cartoon picture and POEM.
    Your entry doesn't have a poem:(

    Trả lờiXóa
  2. You are lack of a poem in your entry. However, I have some comments for you.
    - About the story, I also have the same idea with you when showing the 2 rhetorical devices: Irony and Climax. But I think there should have parallelism as well: “The rooster wanted everyone in the neighboring yard to hear of his strength and prowess. So he flew up onto the shed, flapped his wings and cried out”. I think the message that you receive from the story should be the practical lesson you learn from that. In my opinion, the message you give in the item is just the problem you can see.
    - I wonder about the irony you say in your second picture. Can you clarify that?

    Trả lờiXóa
  3. I agree with Hien and Thuong and I have also some comments for you.
    - about the first picture, I don't think "The number of money U.S borrow from China is $1.75 trillion" is not exactly an overstatement device. you know China is the biggest owner of the USA.
    - about the second picture, to the truth, I do not understand much about it. :(

    Trả lờiXóa
  4. Sorry for the mistake, but I've already fixed it.To Thuong, I don't really understand our point, could you please point out more clearly for me because i'm still confused of those devices.

    Trả lờiXóa
  5. which one are you confused of, Tuan?

    Trả lờiXóa
  6. generally, i agree with Thuong's opinion. however i still not completely understand the meaning of the picture.
    i didn't see the picture show the death, in contrast, i realise that the victim broke his leg by himself and he was quite funny about that.
    can you clarify the meaning of the leg image which is amputated from the body to me.

    Trả lờiXóa