Thứ Hai, 18 tháng 2, 2013

Entry 1_Nguyễn Quốc Tuấn

Entry 1_Nguyễn Quốc Tuấn



                         Item 1: story

                Lady … are you rich?


      They huddled inside the storm door - two children in ragged outgrown coats.
-"Any old papers, lady?"
I was busy. I wanted to say no - until I looked down at their feet. Thin little sandals, sopped with sleet. "Come in and I'll make you a cup of hot cocoa." There was no conversation. Their soggy sandals left marks upon the hearthstone.
Cocoa and toast with jam to fortify against the chill outside. I went back to the kitchen and started again on my household budget...
The silence in the front room struck through to me. I looked in.
The girl held the empty cup in her hands, looking at it. The boy asked in flat voice, "Lady... are you rich?"
"Am I rich? Mercy, no!" I looked at my shabby slipcovers.
The girl put her cup back in its saucer - carefully. "Your cups match your saucers." Her voice was old with a hunger that was not of the stomach.
They left then, holding their bundles of papers against the wind. They hadn't said thank you. They didn't need to. They had done more than that. Plain blue pottery cups and saucers. But they matched. I tested the potatoes and stirred the gravy. Potatoes and brown gravy - a roof over our heads - my man with a good steady job - these things matched, too.
I moved the chairs back from the fire and tidied the living room. The muddy prints of small sandals were still wet upon my hearth. I let them be. I want them there in case I ever forget again how very rich I am.
- Marion Doolan
If you look at what you have in life, you’ll always have more.
If you look at what you don’t have in life,  you’ll never have enough.


           Rhetorical devices:

+ A rhetorical question : " lady...are you rich?",the childs asked the lady if she was rich. We can understand the question ask abuot both matterial and spirit.
+ A paradox : "If you look at what you have in life, you’ll always have more.
                        If you look at what you don’t have in life,  you’ll never have enough."
+A symbol : the muddy prints of small sandals make the lady feel how rich she is.

           Message:
People is rich only when they have suitable life,when they can understand how their life is enough.
           Source:
  http://maxreading.com/sach-hay/chicken-soup-for-the-soul/thua-co-co-giau-co-phai-khong-a-6966.html


              Item 2 : Poem

              What war is all about.

War is evil
War is the devil
War is between politicians
War is about religions
War is destruction
War is not construction
War is depression
War is an obsession
War is fighting
War is killing
War is sorrow
War is no tomorrow
War is explosions
War is confusions
War is blood
War brings tears like a flood
War makes you cry
War makes you die
War is death all around
War makes you die on foreign ground
War is fire
War is not to admire! 
War is creed
War is between different breed
War is cruel
War cost a lot of fuel
War is amputations
War is mutilations
War last forever
I wonder if it ends in Heaven
War is only release
For those who are killed
It means 'PEACE' 

    Rhetorical devices:

+  Rhyme : envil - devil , politicians - religions-  destruction - construction, fighting - killing,...
+ Rhetorical questions: "I wonder if it ends in Heaven ..." 
+ Repetition : " war is...", "war makes..."

     Message : 
 The poem cricticizes the negative sides of wars. the poem also is a calling against wars in over the world when our world has alot of  politic conflictions.
     Source :
    http://www.poemhunter.com/poem/war-296/





                                     Item 3 : Cartoon






 Rhetorical devices:
+ Symbol :  a dove is symbol for peace
                  the soliders is symbol for war
                  the child in picture is symbol for the leaders of cuontries in the world.
+ metaphor : the dove and the soliders in this picture are the toys...the toys is easy to play as well as the way that war broking out.
  Message : 
         All of conflictions in the world are easy to become the wars.  
Source :
 http://hn.24h.com.vn/tranh-vui/biem-hoa-the-gioi-62-c224a501245.html

2 nhận xét:

  1. Hi tuan, I have a cmt in item3 for you.
    It's obvious that you cited link http://hn.24h.com.vn/tranh-vui/biem-hoa-the-gioi-62-c224a501245.html
    therefore u should have shown the Irony divice here :)

    Trả lờiXóa
  2. * I really like the picture, the poem and the story you chose. The story is very meaningful and I beleive anyyone who has ever read it learned a big lesson for their lives. However, I have some comments in your analysis as well as messages:
    - First, in item 1, the message you gave đidn't show all the meaning of the story or even I think you have a little bit mistake on understanding the code meaning in this story. In my opinion, the message from this story is thankfulness and humanitarianism. A person don't have much money but if they are kind and ready to help the others, they are consider the rich :)
    - Secondly, what I see from the picture is a child wear a hat of solider but he play with a dove :) Rhetorical device here is irony, isn't it? :)I agree with something you said in the message, however, it seems not be suitable with this picture. Should it be "Everyone need peace. The war doesn't bring us anything except "blood and tears". Why don't we destroy the life of people, specially the life of children"
    Hope my own opinion useful, dear :)

    Trả lờiXóa