Thứ Hai, 18 tháng 2, 2013

Entry1_ Nguyễn Thị Mai Hương


Critical T hinking Entry 1
Item 1:  Heart-warmer

I Will Be Here

Whenever you're sad,
or feeling blue,
Just call on me.
I'll be here for you.

Whenever you're happy,
or feeling sad,
Just call on me.
You are going to be glad that you had.

'Cause I'm gonna be there
with open arms.
I'm going to be there
to bear your arms.

I may be young,
or tiny like a bug,
but when you're sad
I swear to God,
I give the biggest hugs.

So when you're lonely
or just plain blue,
Just think of me,
or this poem,
And I'll come to you.
 By  Nicole George
Rhetorical devices:
1.    Parallelism: in the two first paragraphs of the poem, it starts with “Whenever you're...,
or feeling..”,  finishing by giving solution “just call on me” and result “ I’ll be here for you”
2.    Rhyme:
+)  internal rhyme: whenever you’re happy, or feeling sad
                              You are going to be glad that you had
+) Terminal rhyme: I may be young or tiny like a bug
                                But when you’re sad, I give the biggest hugs.
3.    Repetition:  whenever you’re…, or… ;
                          Just call on me
                     I’ll
Message: Praise the friendship with a best friend who is willing to stay with you whenever you need to share everything.
         
Item 2: Story
                                   THE OBSTACLE IN OUR PATH
 In ancient times, a king had a boulder placed on a roadway. Then he hid himself and watched to see if anyone would remove the huge rock. Some of the king’s wealthiest merchants and courtiers came by and simply walked around it.
Many loudly blamed the king for not keeping the roads clear, but none did anything about getting the big stone out of the way. Then a peasant came along carrying a load of vegetables. On approaching the boulder, the peasant laid down his burden and tried to move the stone to the side of the road. After much pushing and straining, he finally succeeded. As the peasant picked up his load of vegetables, he noticed a purse lying in the road where the boulder had been. The purse contained many gold coins and a note from the king indicating that the gold was for the person who removed the boulder from the roadway. The peasant learned what many others never understand.
Rhetorical device:  Metaphor:    -  The huge rock: the obstacle in our path.  
-        The purse contained many gold coins: the present for the good person that accepts the challenges.
Message: In life, human being always faces up with difficulties and challenges. Every obstacle presents an opportunity to improve one’s condition. If you don't try, you'll never know what you can do and there’s no the miracle happening.

Item3: Cartoon
                         
Rhetorical device: Metaphor:            -    The small tank: the narrow place
-        The large aquarium: the  vast environment
Message:  praise the human being‘s courage. They dare to go beyond the narrow place to reach a vast environment with lots of challenges and opportunities.


6 nhận xét:

  1. Here are my some comments. I hope it will be useful for you.

    - Item 1: I agree with the rhetorical devices and the content of the message that you stated. However, the latter should be rewritten in a full sentence. (not just the verb at the beginning of the message)

    - Item 2: I disagree with you that "the purse contained many gold coins present for the good person that accepts the challenges". In my opinion, it represents for success and achievement which the people obtain after overcoming difficulties. Similarity, the peasant represents for those who are ready to cope with challenges.

    - Item 3: As mentioned, the message should be rewritten in a full sentence. Besides, I think "the narrow place" and "the vast environment" are too general, therefore, to be better you should clarify them.

    Trả lờiXóa
  2. Hi nice girl,
    I have some comments after reading your entry.
    + about the poem: I add another rhetorical device: oxymoron: sad- blue, happy-sad.
    + about the story: from my view of point,
    The huge rock: difficulties, challenges in our life
    The purse contained many gold coins: deserved reward for effort
    that's all. Well done, my dear!

    Trả lờiXóa
  3. firstly, i like the picture in the item 3, very useful :D
    About the story, Parallelism is also used . For example, "the peasant laid down his burden and tried to move the stone to the side of the road"...
    hope it help!

    Trả lờiXóa
  4. I have a suggestion for your item 3. As you can see, in the picture, there's only one fish that dares to jump out to another tank. Two other fishes are still swimming but they have the intention to come out too. However, they accepted the current environment because they know that they can die if the escape fails. They are waiting for other advantageous chances. Perhaps one day, one of the two fish jumps out, with success or not, the remaining will have a bigger environment to live in. So the message that the story carries may be about that.

    Trả lờiXóa
  5. Hi my friend,
    Here are some my comments about your entry.
    I really impress on your picture in item 3, it's so meaningful. About item 2 and item 3, in my opinion, you should add one more rhetorical device like oxymoron: sad- blue, happy-sad
    In general, It seems you have done a good job. Congratulation!

    Trả lờiXóa